Achieving and maintaining alignment is critical to project success. The 10 critical alignment issues that have the greatest effect on team alignment and ultimate project success, in order of importance are:
- Stakeholders are appropriately represented on the project team.
- Project leadership is defined, effective, and accountable.
- The priority between cost, schedule, and required project features is clear.
- Communication within the team and with stakeholders is open and effective.
- Team meetings are timely and productive.
- The team culture fosters trust, honesty, and shared values.
- The pre-project planning process includes sufficient funding, schedule, and scope to meet objectives.
- The reward and recognition system promotes meeting project objectives.
- Teamwork and team building programs are effective.
- Planning tools are effectively used.
These 10 critical issues are the basis for the "Alignment Thermometer" discussed under the Implementation Tools section.
(RS113-1, p. 17)